Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 09:01:31 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Wolodymyr Protsaylo" <pwr@lta.link.lviv.ua>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Compressed mail boxes

From: "Wolodymyr Protsaylo" <pwr@lta.link.lviv.ua>
> Does there exist any solution, which allows to keep a Mailboxes in
> a compressed form in order to occupy less space on disk. Which will allow
> to be transperent in writing and reading by mail dileviry agents and mail
> clients?

There is a patch by Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net> that adds zlib
compression of the Cyrus mail store (v1.5.x).

The way this patch works is that the messages are initially stored
uncompressed.  A cron job is run at least once a day to compress the
messages.  The imapd/popd are then modified to allow them to decompress the
messages, before sending them to the mail client.

I have updated this patch for 1.6.20 and 2.0.x.

You would then need mail clients that can work with IMAP servers (pine,
Netscape, mutt(?)), as the messages would not be accessible to regular Unix
mail clients (elm, mail, mh, ...) unless they have been patched (elm w/IMAP
patch).

Scot