Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 1995 12:51:11 +0800 (WST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@jhome.DIALix.COM>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        curt@emergent.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NETBSD ccd driver

I'm experimenting (read writing play code for) a redesigned
disk access layout.
it includes built in support for concatinated devices..

If I like it I'll submit it as a change..
the features :

1/ hierarchical nature.. any slice has a 'parent' slice with which it is related..
2/extensible has a 'method set' tohandle eache type of relationship
(e.g. disklable is a relationship as is fdisk table
allows me to write a set of methods for SYSV VTOCS etc as well)

3/ a method can use multiple 'parents' and impliment a CCD like setup

all disks use the same 'major' number.. and minors are assigned
as monatomically increasing integers, each new slice defined get's the next
integer.. devfs is a MUST for it..
it should be able to co-exist with the present system..