Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:18:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Vaevictus Asmadi <vaevictus@socket.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need Authoritative DHCP server ...

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Vaevictus Asmadi wrote:

> I need a reliable DHCP server that will either do NAT or use existing NAT,
> and using the NAT to enforce use of DHCP...
> Is this possible?
> Has anyone got this to work?

The ISC dhcpd is quite a reliable DHCP server, but I don't understand
at all what else you are wanting to do.  DHCP and NAT really have
nothing to do with each other.  If you only want people to have access
to your NAT/proxy/whatever box if their address has been assigned by
your DHCP server, then you'll have to implement that yourself
(shouldn't be too hard, I'd think).  Wether you want a "forced" DHCP
configuration or not, you can just install the ISC dhcp package
(ports/net/isc-dhcp2).

For a forced DHCP config, here's an idea:
Set up the dhcp server to ping the address it is about to assign a
client to make sure that the address is free (the ISC dhcpd will do
this).  If it is not free, it will temporarily abandon that address
and not assign it to a client.  Modify the dhcp server to notify an
external program when it abandons an address (or maybe there is
another way to find out other than looking at the dhcpd logs).  Block
the abandoned addresses via a firewall rule or something similar.
Once the DHCP server determines the address is no longer in use and
un-abandons it, remove the blocking rule.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."