Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2007 15:36:37 -0700
From:      Matt Olander <matt@ixsystems.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Cc:        Patrick Tracanelli <eksffa@freebsdbrasil.com.br>, fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xsan (Apple) on FreeBSD

On Wednesday 01 August 2007 3:22 pm, Patrick Tracanelli wrote:
> Hello Jeff,
>
> Jeff Mohler wrote:
> > Im yet to hear of a large Xsan install that stayed Xsan once it grew.
> >
> > Most, if not all, have gone to netapp or umm..Isilon (spelling) that ive
> > been close to.   Latest large dump of Xsan that I know of was Current TV
> > in San Francisco, for Isilon.
>
> Hmm, good to know. I have tested XServe RAID only, which has shown to be
> a good solution as storage system for the usage profile I need, but
> Xsan, never saw it working. Believed it to be the usual path to follow,
> but have hear of people running Stornext instead of xsan.
>
> So, now my question goes on a different path. Will Isilon OneFS run
> FreeBSD? I head from people at Zoic Studios it is based on FreeBSD, but
> I am not sure how true this information is. Anyway, "based on" wont
> always mean fully compatible.
>
> Are you aware of OneFS running on FreeBSD?

It is indeed true. OneFS is FreeBSD. The Isilon product is really neat and =
you=20
can buy it modularly, starting with just one unit.

=2Dmatt

> Thanks Jeff.
>
> > Beware the hype of Xsan, its a money pit.
> >
> > Then ask em how long it all comes to a halt when a disk fails.
> >

> > On 8/1/07, *Patrick Tracanelli * <eksffa@freebsdbrasil.com.br
> > <mailto:eksffa@freebsdbrasil.com.br>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hello,
> >
> >     Anyone knows if I can have FreeBSD (in fact, many FreeBSD boxes)
> >     acessing the same data on an XSan enviroment? Or, if StorNext FX
> > works on FreeBSD to access an XServe RAID storage system?
> >
> >     What I need is having multiple FreeBSD boxes acessing the same data
> >     on a
> >     storage system (XServer preferrably).
> >
> >     I would like to hear your suggestions and personal experiences.

=2D-=20
Matt Olander
CTO, iXsystems - "Servers for Open Source" =A0http://www.iXsystems.com
Public Relations, The FreeBSD Project =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 http://www.FreeBSD.org
BSD on the Desktop! =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0=
 http://www.pcbsd.org
Phone: (408)943-4100 ext. 113 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Fax: =
(408)943-4101