Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 1995 18:50:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Persistent wu-ftpd 2.4's under 2.1.0-950928?

    I've got a 46DX2/66 with 64 megs and 2.1.0-950928 doing IRC and
FTP server duty.  I've noticed that the number of FTP connections
always increases but hardly ever decreases (this is using the ftpcount
utility included with wu-ftpd).

    Looking at the process table, it appears that there are many
ftpd's that were started a day or more ago, completely swapped out (0K
in the RSS column) but still hanging around.  Netstat shows that a
connection is still open to the remote side.  Some are in FIN_WAIT or
TIME_WAIT and a bunch are still in the ESTABLISHED state.  Some have
non-zero sendq's, etc.  IOW, no consistent pattern from netstat.

    The inetd.conf line is this:

ftp	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/libexec/wuftpd	wuftpd -d -l -T 300 -t 300

    The timeout settings are reasonable (5 minutes), but I don't think
that is the problem here.  From my end, it looks like some people have
been connected for a few days.  Is this a known problem (i.e., does
ftp.cdrom.com have this problem?)  I have a script that runs and scans
for ftp-owned processes with 0K RSS and zaps them, but obviously this
isn't the right solution.

    On the up side, this 486 is still very snappy even with 7
interactive users, 132 FTP clients (58 that are "dead") and 107 IRC
clients.  Load average usually hovers around 0.20 or so.  :)
--
Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
System Administrator, Internex Online Inc.