Date:      Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:08:21 -0500
From:      Alec Berryman <alec@thened.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions using PartitionMagic for dual-boot with WinXP-Pro

--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A

Maude User on 2005-03-27 19:47:30 -0800:

> I need help partitioning a laptop (using PartitionMagic) which
> already has WinXP-Pro on it, so it can dual-boot FreeBSD.

FreeBSD uses disk slices as opposed to partitions; decide how much
space you want FreeBSD to take up (including swap) and set that
aside.  When it comes time to install FreeBSD, you will be able to
allocate the slice as you see fit from the installer, but it will all
be on one partition.  You should leave the partition on which you
would like to install FreeBSD blank.

You will not be installing FreeBSD onto an ext2 or ext3 partition.
You probably ought to allocate more than 1MB of swap.

> Does this mean I should create a small partition BEFORE my WinXP
> partition, to put Boot Easy or LILO there? (Apparently
> PartitionMagic has a command to MOVE an existing partition - so it
> looks like I can just move the existing WinXP partition slightly to
> open up some space in front of it.)
>=20
> If I do need to create a boot partition:
>=20
> ...(a) How big should it be?
>=20
> ...(b) What file system should it be - FAT, FAT32, ext2 or ext3?
>=20
> ...(c) Should it be a primary partition, or logical (extended)?

You should not need a boot partition; the FreeBSD boot manager is
installed in the MBR.  I have no experience dual-booting FreeBSD and
Windows; you ought to check with someone who has.

> Anybody have a preference on using LILO versus Boot Easy?
>=20
> Will there be a screen during the regular FreeBSD install that lets
> me install Boot Easy or LILO?

I don't know anything about Boot Easy, but I suspect that the FreeBSD
boot manager will be more than sufficient for your needs. =20

> (2) Should the file system for my Linux partition be ext2 or ext3?
>=20
> (3) Do I need a Linux swap partition? If so:
>=20
> ...(a) How big should the Linux swap partition be? (I heard it
> should be twice the size of my RAM. I have 512MB, so should my Linux
> swap partition be 1024MB?)
>=20
> ...(b) Should the Linux swap partition be FAT, FAT32, ext2 or ext3?
>=20
> ...(c) Should the Linux swap partition be a primary partition - or
> logical (extended)?

At this point, you ought to make sure you understand that FreeBSD is
not a Linux distribution.

> If I make a second logical partition for WinXP, does it have to be
> NTFS? I heard that it could also be FAT or FAT32, and that way any
> OS could access it?

FAT32 is better supported than NTFS.

> (7) (Off-topic:) I heard that FreeBSD is not compatible with ACPI
> (7) power management. When and how do I disable this?

There is an option during the install to disable it; the statement
that FreeBSD is not compatible with ACPI is incorrect.

--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A

--9zSXsLTf0vkW971A--