Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 11:45:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      chrw <shredder@hack.babel.dk>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   blocking factor / cpio

Hello, I have a question which is not directly associated with fbsd, i
hope somone can give me advice anyway .. I started using gnu cpio for
backups instead of tar, and i wonder if there are any special stuff i
should be aware of. Im using gnu find, piping the output to gnu cpio -o |
ssh <blahblah> 'cat > /dev/nrst0', writing directly to the a remote tape
device. Is there any considerations concerning blocking factor, that could
improve reliability and/or speed?

also, the hosts im doing backup on is SGI based, and the streamer host is
a freebsd, i think there might be problems with different header
information??

what about the swap bytes/word stuff, any considerations?

Until now i have simply callled cpio with " cpio -o | ssh -c blowfish
<streamerhost> 'cat > /dev/nrst0' and it seems to work fine ..

any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Regards,

Christoffer Walther
Unix admin