Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 1995 20:35:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
To:        scouch@io.org (Stephen Couchman)
Cc:        jbarrm@panix.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iijpp STILL cannot talk to my modem :-((

According to Stephen Couchman:

> Barry,
>
> I'm pleased to see that you figured your problem out.  Unfortunately my
> problems with iijppp do not seem to be related to the ppp.secret file.  (I
> can use, or not use, a password with the same result).
>
> If I try to use iijppp and the 'term' command, iijppp does not communicate
> with the modem (no lights flash on the modem, and no characters are echoed).
> Quite often, but not always, the characters that I type after the term
> command, e.g. 'at', are buffered and are read by the shell once kill the ppp
> process.
>
> If I try to use iijppp and the 'dial myisp' command, iijppp responds with
> 'dial failed.', presumably because the modem is not responding.  Of course,
> the modem is not responding because it never receives any characters...
>
> Any really don't know where to go from here.  Does anyone have any ideas?

		I've got an idea or two, since I just
		(finally) restored tip to working order.
		Plus, have had problems similar to yours
		with user-ppp.  `dial failed.'

		I can't be sure what the trouble with tip
		was since I _un_-did 3 or 4 changes.  But
		the troubles with ppp failing may well
		involve your modem being hosed.

		One of the first things I got working was
		cu, in the Taylor suite.  If you haven't
		got things set up in your /etc/uucp directory,
		see about at least getting cu functioning.

		``cu -pport1 dir'' is the syntax that willl
		talk directly to your modem.  Try an ``AT''
		and ``ATZ''.   If no response, that's a good
		indication that nothing is talking to (or
		getting a response from) your modem.   Check
		the dip switches or power-cycle the modem
		until you can talk to it via cu.   For me,
		whenever ppp fails, the modem is hung.  I
		haven't figured out yet what causes the device
		to hang, but after I power-cycle it, then
		retry cu and it works, ppp works.

		Anybody out there know what causes modems to
		hang? I'd sure like to know...

		Let me know if this helps.  (I've got days or
		weeks of setup left, mostly involving news and
		mail, and it would  be nice to have these kinds
		of problems documented.   :-|  )

		gary kline