Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 1995 20:07:26 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett A. Wollman)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do we *really* need logger(1)?

Hello,

# >   True.  My point was that xinetd can wrap UDP daemons and tcp_wrapper
# > can not.  Plus, xinetd can do it without exec'ing an additional program.
#
# >   Filters on border routers should be used to block "outside" syslogd abuse.
#
# Um, no, syslog should be fixed to not accept random junk from anyone
# who cares to send it.

	Another 2 things which (I beleive) are worth the effort:

	(a) Some king of ACK protocol when logging goes to another host;
	    seems to be a better solution than using TCP connection.
	    I've read about this kind of simple and cost-effective
	    message exchange protocols in Addison-Wesley book
	    on distributed computing, 2 ed. For a pity, that book wasn't mine.

	(b) Optional encryption capability for the messages,
	    using the system-wide libcrypt facility;
	    even very simple one will be good, with parameters stored in
	    /etc/syslog.conf. Better than nothing, really.

# Packet filtering is never the correct answer,
# despite what some vendors may try to make people think.

	How one can design a strategy of living without it?
	What are better solutions?

# As for `logger', it's a useful tool that anyone could write if it did
# not exist before.  People running public-access systems should do the
# same thing to `logger' as they do to `cc', `as', and `ld'.

	Agreed.
#
# -GAWollman
#