Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 1999 15:05:46 -0700
From:      "Scott Hess" <scott@avantgo.com>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Recommendations for FreeBSD RAID subsystems?

I'm looking to put together a RAID subsystem to be run under FreeBSD.  In
the near-term, it won't be too large, but I'll need to be able to add
drives as things progress - preferrably on-the-fly, but I'm willing to
accept a couple minutes of downtime if that's what it takes.  I'm thinking
to start with five drives (2 filesystems on RAID1 mirrors, plus a single
hot spare), though I could see later having perhaps 25 drives or so (still
probably in small RAID1 mirrors with hot spares).

The best, in fact the _only_, info I've seen in this area is
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/archive-info/wcarchive.txt.  It pretty much agrees with
what I've seen in the past.  The Mylex 960SXI SCSI-SCSI controller seems
pretty reasonable for the job, since you get things like the serial port
management console and the like (I don't want to put 25 drives in an array
that you have to reboot to NT to reconfigure!).

Does anyone have anything to add to this?  Other capable controllers, good
vendors to purchase from, good/dense chassis, etc?  Has anyone ever used
the dual-controller failover stuff mentioned in the specs with FreeBSD?
How about the dual-host failover stuff?  Anyone willing to describe the
process of noting a failure, and marking a newly inserted drive as hot
spare?

Any other information you think I need would be appreciated.  Thanks much,
scott hess
scott@avantgo.com