Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 20:15:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Sam Hadzajlic <samh@bluep.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Add New Hard Disk and dump

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Sam Hadzajlic wrote:

> First sorry for my spelling  English is not my language.
> I am small ISP running FreeBSD all on one "box" and Master Hard Disk
> Quantum Fireball 1.7GB
> I am trying to add a new hard-disk (for back-up)  but I do not succeed.
> New Disk is same like first one .

There are two ways:  using fdisk and not using fdisk.  You'll want to use
fdisk if you plan on using it with DOS.  The second type is strictly for
FreeBSD (thusly labeled 'dangerously dedicated').

If you want the fdisk type, mail me privately, it's rather long.

The short way is:

disklabel -Brw sd1 auto
disklabel -e sd1

for each filesystem on sd1:

newfs -d0 /dev/rsd1x    x=filesystem

vi /etc/fstab   mount appropriately

Then you can use dump | restore to copy one disk to the other.