Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2012 14:11:51 +0100
From:      Martin Sugioarto <martin@sugioarto.com>
To:        "Ronald Klop" <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
Subject:   Re: Timekeeping in stable/9

--Sig_/A1JvsXCjPKdNieBoKjOmuEX

Am Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:20:51 +0100
schrieb "Ronald Klop" <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>:

> Hi,
>=20
> As I understand it.
> Host: FreeBSD 9
> Guest: WinXP
>=20
> Which one has troubles with its clock? The host or the guest or both?

Hi,

only inside VirtualBox, I think it's only an application problem and
my emails would be probably better addressed to ports@. ONLY the guest
is affected when host is loaded.

I noticed additionally:

You get better results with a desync'ed clock in the guest system, when
you start "openssl speed -multi 20" or similar. Within a few seconds the
clock gets a 20 seconds difference.

> How many CPU's did you assign to the guest?
> Did you install virtualbox guest additions to the guest?

Here a few details (guest additions are installed):

Memory size:     1600MB
Page Fusion:     off
VRAM size:       256MB
HPET:            on/off (tried both settings)
Chipset:         piix3
Firmware:        BIOS
Number of CPUs:  1
Synthetic Cpu:   off
CPUID overrides: None
[...]
ACPI:            on
IOAPIC:          off
PAE:             on
Time offset:     0 ms
RTC:             local time
Hardw. virt.ext: on
Hardw. virt.ext exclusive: on
Nested Paging:   on
Large Pages:     on
VT-x VPID:       on
[...]
3D Acceleration: off
2D Video Acceleration: on

> Do you run NTP on the guest XP also? If yes, turn it off.

Windows XP default installation (synch'ed to time.windows.com).
Switching this off, does not have any influence. I think MS-Windows
does not do continuous synchronization, only at system start, I guess.

> VBox guest additions can sync the guest clock with the host.

I'll try to deinstall them. But I somehow like my shared folder.

> BTW: My experience with VBox is that it is nice for hobby stuff, but
> not for heavy load server stuff. VMWare does a better job there.

Yes. I know. Still VirtualBox ist nice and cheap solution.

--
Martin