Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 1996 16:17:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Neil T. Mathison" <mathison@sara.cpb.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Configuration review

Greetings,

I am attempting to put together a system to function as a workstation,
primarily for application development running FreeBSD. What follows is
a list of components and their prices obtained from various sources.

The monitor, keyboard, etc, I will lift from my old system for
the time being. I need to keep the cost around 2000 dollars.

Based on info from previous discussions here, and comparing prices from
various sources, I think the system will be problem free and a fairly
good price to performance ratio. If I am wrong about this; if anything
is obviously amiss (or even not so obvious) with the selections below
 (e.g. won't work with FreeBSD, cost out of line, product x would work
more reliably than your selection for about the same cost, etc.) I
would appreciate a shout.

Regards,
               Neil Mathison  --  mathison@sara.cpb.org
Basic System
   ASUS PCI/I-P55TP4XE MB (Intel Triton chipset)
       4 32-bit PCI and 3 16-bit ISA slots
       72-pin SIMM sockets
       SMC Super I/O Controller (2-floppies, 2 16650 UARTS, 1 PP)
   1.44 MB floppy Drive
   Desktop case + 230W PS
   P130                                                  $749

Memory
   4x32 72 pin 60ns (16 Mb)                              $439

SCSI Controller
   ASUS SC200 SCSI-II controller                         $ 76

CD ROM
   Panasonic 4x SCSI-II                                  $179

Hard Drive
   1.08 GIG Conner SCSI-II (CFP1080S)                    $329

Video Card
   #9 FX Motion 771 (S3 Vision 868) 2Mb                  $309

OS
   FreeBSD 2.1                                           $ 40