Date:      Sat, 4 Feb 95 16:56 CST
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org, nate@bsd.coe.montana.edu
Subject:   Still need bdev major number assignment

About three weeks ago, I sent the a piece of mail to
	FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
requesting a bdev major number be assigned for a driver I am
completing.  I apparently never got any assignment, and only one piece of
mail from someone that might have been making a tangential reply
(someone asking for programming details on some devices).

So I am asking again.   If someone did write me a response with the
information I needed, I apologize.  An upstream site lost a 2GB drive
about that time and perhaps your mail went with it.  If you would
resend the text of the message, I would really appreciate it.

According to conf.c:
[-]/*
[-]* If you need a bdev major number, please contact the FreeBSD team
[-]* by sending mail to "FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com".
[-]* If you assign one yourself it may conflict with someone else.
[-]*/

I am in the final stages of debugging a driver for the Matsushita CD-ROM
drive (CR-562 & CR-563) for use with FreeBSD.  This is the drive with
the proprietary interface that you find on SoundBlaster audio
cards (sometimes called the Creative/Panasonic interface), as well as
SB-clone audio cards and standalone CD-ROM interface cards bundled with
the drives.

This double-speed drive is marketed under the names Creative, Reveal,
and Panasonic, and comes bundled with many types computers.
The interface (and the driver) should support up to four of these drives.
With the right combination of adapters, you can connect 16 drives
to a single system.

You can also read subcodes while playing audio (for CD+G and things)
as well as read raw redbook (audio) tracks.

These drives can be had separately for between $170 and $230 retail.

FYI, if you are affiliated with any company that sells Creative Labs
products, you can take advantage of the Creative Labs employee discount
and get them for less.  (I have no affiliation with Creative Labs, so this
isn't meant to be a commercial.)

I wrote to Nate about this project several months ago who indicated that
he didn't know of anyone who was working on this.

I am currently using major #8 (having null pointers in there as the default
is a bit dangerous, isn't it?) but I would like a more permanent number
assigned.   Because of the number of these drives that are out there
already, this driver could be *very* popular.   Someone at SCO is already
asking if they can include a port of the driver in their UNIX product.

(On USENET I saw a passing reference to a "pcd" device, but it does
 not appear in the 1.1.5.1 tree I am using for development.)

If you need additional details, please let me know.  I would like to
release something by the end of the month, and not having a major
number will become a stumbling block pretty soon.

Also, please add me to the appropriate FreeBSD development group mailing
lists.  I suspect my original request was lost, as I haven't seen a single
piece of mail on the topic.

Thanks.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"The Knights who say "LETNi"
or  uhclem%nemesis@trsvax.ast.com (Internet)| demand...  A WORKING PENTIUM!!!
...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem               |"A what?"
...decvax!trsvax.fw.ast.com!nemesis!uhclem  |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!"(TM)1983

"Where do you want to go today?  Anywhere Microsoft tells you to(TM)." :-(
- (C) 1995 MADSoft