Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 01:11:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        "J. Gaynor" <jeff.gaynor@ibm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD , OS/2 and SMP

hmm what a bunch of good questions.. here goes..
(teh FAQ and handbook covers this but it's sometimes hard to find.. there
is SO MUCH info there.)

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, J. Gaynor wrote:

> Kind Mesdames & Sirs,
>
> I am interested in running FreeBSD on my workstation. It
> sounds very good as far as features and stability. My
> system is a dual processor Pentium with a Tyan 1462 motherboard.
> I downloaded the test floppy and so far all seems really
> very nice. The only 3 questions I have are the following:
>
> * Does FreeBSD support multi-processor architecture? What are the
>   limitations? (Does the OS farm out threads automatically, or is
>   dependent on the program?) Does your standard C/C++ compiler
>   come with the necessary headers etc. to write SMP-aware
>   applications?

SMP is a 'work in progress' you can use SMP on any "intel standard"  SMP
machine. If multiple processes are running they will be scheduled to
different processors. The Threads support doesn not YET make use of the
SMP, but that is coming. (People are working on it) present pthreads
support is a 'userland' threads only impimentation till the other work
completes.

> * I use Warp Server 4.0 as my standard OS. Is there support for
>   reading HPFS partitions? Do FreeBSD and OS/2 coexist in a friendly
>   fashion on the same system?
yes though I've not done it (see the FAQ and handbook)
also see the mail archives under 'support' on www.freebsd.org
(what a strange place to put it)

> * I also use System Commander to manage multiple boot configurations.
>   You maintain that multiple boot configurations are allowed, but
>   as near as I can tell, I must use your loader to do this.

no, any loader that can boot DOS from a primary partition can boot BSD
from a similar primary partition. e.g. Midnight commander has
featured in a lot of email in the archives.

> If you have
>   no direct knowledge of System Commander, then the alternate question
>   to ask is this: Are there any limitations on the installation
>   partition, specifically, can FreeBSD be installed to an extended
>   logical partition, or must it be installed to a primary partition.
>   If it must be installed to a primary partition, does this have to
>   be on the first physical drive (like SCO Unix)?

FreeBSD must boot off a primary partition.
that primary partition can be on any disk the BIOS can boot off.
FreeBSD's boot code uses the BIOS to load the kernel.

>      Thank you very much for your time. FreeBSD, with its cross
> Unix compatibility and features really does look quite excellent.
> I look forward to hearing from you in the future.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jeffrey J. Gaynor

julian