Date:      Thu, 17 May 2012 17:09:55 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chuck Burns <break19@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Chrome crashing system (amd64-10.0-CURRENT)

On 2012-05-17 14:20, Chuck Burns wrote:> On 5/17/2012 2:11 AM, John Hixson wrote:
>> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 01:15:54AM -0500, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
>>> For the last week or so, I've been unable to run chrome.  Any attempt
>>> to start it up will cause the system either to freeze up or reboot.
>>
>> To add to this, I've had the same problem on 10-CURRENT for several months
>> now.
>
> Are you guys building ports with clang? There's a known bug with
> google-perftools, when it's built with clang, chrome will crash upon launch.

Please note the OP is talking about a complete system crash and/or
restart, not just chrome itself crashing.

> chrome itself can be built with any compiler, but if google-perftools is
> built with clang, crash!
>
> http://code.google.com/p/gperftools/issues/detail?id=394

There seem to be several problems with gperftools; compiled with gcc
4.2.1, there are at least 3 failures in its test suite (of 40 tests).
Compiled with gcc 4.7 it doesn't even compile, since it erroneously
tries to use backtrace_symbols(), which we don't provide.

Compiled with clang 3.1, there are 12 failures. I assume this is because
it is doing all kinds of tricky things with threads and re-implementing
Yet Another Malloc, which seems to be very hard, as recent experience
with head has shown. :)

In any case, a good start would be to attempt to diagnose all the test
failures that occur with clang only, to see if they indicate a problem
in gperftools or clang itself.