Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 13:55:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spidey <spidey@libdns.qc.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Mysterious reboots...

(should this be cc-ed to stable?)

I have something strange here that I cannot reproduce. I'm not even sure
if it is os-related.

Sometimes the machine simply reboots. X does not shut down, filesystems do
not dismount correctly, _but_ there is an entry in wtmp:

spidey@freed [01:39pm] spidey$ last reboot
reboot           ~                         Tue Mar 30 12:40
[...]

I did _not_ call this reboot with any command that I know of. I was simply
surfing the web with netscape on a iijppp connection, and trying to listen
to a realaudio stream when the machine shutted down. This happened about 4
times in 2 days. Maybe it is a physical connection to the machine that is
cheap or bad.

What I want to know is if a sudden shutdown like this (like a power
outage) would write the wtmp logs?

Thanks

oh, BTW, I follow stable...:) Last cvsup & make world was yesterday.

When a man lies he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I can witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home

- Metallica