Date:      Wed, 28 May 2008 12:16:18 +0300
From:      "Odhiambo Washington" <odhiambo@gmail.com>
To:        z.szalbot@lc-words.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump and remote file fetching

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Zbigniew Szalbot <z.szalbot@lc-words.com>
wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>  Need a word of advice. I use dump to backup my data. All fine. Dump saves
>>> compressed *.bz2 files. Nice. All I need now is a way to copy them from the
>>> server to a remote backup machine. The problem I am facing is that bz2 files
>>> are owned by root:wheel. So if I use scp user@domain.tld:/path/to/*.bz2,
>>> it does not have sufficient permissions to fetch the files. I can use sudo,
>>> but then I need to interactively type the password, which I would like to
>>> avoid.
>>>
>>> Can you suggest simple ways of getting around this? I don't mind using
>>> special tools for the job, especially if they are not too complicated... :)
>>>
>>> Before firing this email off I took a look at rsync and it seems easy
>>> enough to do just what I need but still many thanks for suggestions!
>>>

>> I have been very happy with rsnapshot.  Take that for a spin and see how
>> it works for you
>>

> I have taken a look at rsnapshot but it seems I am left to deal with the
> same problem:
>
> From their page:
> In addition to full paths on the local filesystem, you can also backup
> remote systems using rsync over ssh. If you have ssh installed and enabled
> (via the cmd_ssh parameter), you can specify a path like:
>
> backup      root@example.com:/etc/     example.com/
>
> This behaves fundamentally the same way, but you must take a few extra
> things into account.
>
> a/ The ssh daemon must be running on example.com
> b/ You must have access to the account you specify the remote machine, in
> this case the root user on example.com.
>
> I do not allow remote root login so what are my options in that case? How
> do you deal with such a scenario? Many thanks!

HI ZS,

I used to do something like this with a very simple shell script, using ftp.
In the script, I was simply checking the filename, extracting the date from
it, comparing the date with today's date, and pushing into a nother server
all files that are dated yesterday. These were log files created using
another script, which would create them like main.YYYYMMDD.log.
IIRC, ftp relies on a file ~/.netrc which can have the destination hostname,
username and password. With these, ftp will be automated - no need to enter
any logon credentials. Please read the man page for ftp on how to use the
netrc file or the ~/.netrc
If you need more assistance, find me off list:-)

Nairobi,KE
+254733744121/+254722743223

--from a /. post