Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:35:15 +0200
From:      Nils Vogels <nivo+freebsd-isp@yuckfou.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: remote system upgrade

Hi Ivan,,

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 07:01:44AM +0400, LonerX wrote:
> All we know how much cvsup and following makes mean for a system. But
> being able to cvsup the sources on my remote server and being able to
> build the world I cannot find the way to 'make installworld' remotely.
> If somebody has experience in that and can share it with me I'll be
> really glad and grateful to know about it.

I do it all the time, like this:

1) sync your sourcetree using cvsup:
   # cd /usr/src
   # make update
2) Read /usr/src/UPDATING, do whatever is needed according to that file
3) Rebuild your kernel and world
   # make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYCONF
   # make buildworld
4) If all this went well, install the new kernel and world
   # make installkernel KERNCONF=MYCONF
   # make installworld
5) Merge configfiles, since installworld (luckily) doesnt do this
   # mergemaster
6) # shutdown -r +5 'Now entering the new world ..'

HTH,

--
Nils Vogels		PGP:0xC26BD15F Available on keyservers.
S@H:5243WU/7.102yr	--> setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu. Will you find aliens?

My other computer is your windows box.