Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:52:44 -0500
From:      "Christian E. Hopps" <chopps@merit.edu>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: namespace pollution (if_list)

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 03:31:56PM -0500, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:19:07 -0500, "Christian E. Hopps" <chopps@merit.edu> said:
>
> > Are people failing to realize that this now prohibits use of
> > `if_list' and `if_addrlist' in user programs??
>
> If you include <net/if_var.h>, and expect to use if_ANYTHING in your
> programs, you have made a serious error -- just as you cannot include
> <ctype.h> and then expect to define a macro called isfoo().

Is this the position of FreeBSD?  You do realize that this is horrible
OS design right?  To be honest I expected an "Oops we'll fix it" not
some justification for a stupid action.

But let me get this straight FreeBSD is now reserving the prefix
"if_" and user programs are not allowed to use it?

How many other of these are there?  Should I go through every OS header
file in FreeBSD and consider any prefix it uses as reserverd??

Chris.

P.S. the program is GateD, which has been around and using if_list
since before FreeBSD was even some dream in a 386bsd patchkit
maintainer's head.