Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 23:58:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Neal Westfall <nwestfal@lorien.odc.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot rlogin to current

Anybody else seeing any wierdness with rlogind on current?
As of yesterday I've been seeing this:

Script started on Thu Dec 23 23:24:14 1999
bash$ rlogin tolstoy
assword:mypassword
^C
bash$ exit

Script done on Thu Dec 23 23:24:39 1999

It seems to be ignoring the .rhosts file, echoes back the attempt to
type in the password, and hangs.  I get this on the console:

Dec 23 23:24:40 Tolstoy rlogind[22687]: auth_pam: Conversation error
Dec 23 23:24:40 Tolstoy rlogind[22687]: PAM authentication failed

Previously I had been getting some different PAM authentication
error, as so, but it still let me in:

Dec 16 13:05:38 Tolstoy rlogind[13085]: no modules loaded for `rshd'
service
Dec 16 13:05:38 Tolstoy rlogind[13085]: auth_pam: Permission denied
Dec 16 13:05:38 Tolstoy rlogind[13085]: PAM authentication failed

Reverting this commit seems to let me rlogin again, but I still get
the PAM authentication errors which I had seen originally:

mharo       1999/12/21 00:36:11 PST

  Modified files:
    etc                  pam.conf
  Log:
  add default service (other) entries

  Reviewed by:  markm (in concept)

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.2       +5 -1      src/etc/pam.conf

--
Neal Westfall  |  mailto:nwestfal@odc.net  |  http://www.odc.net/~nwestfal

"What is today a matter of academic speculation begins tomorrow to move
 armies and pull down empires. In that second stage, it has gone too far
 to be combatted; the time to stop it was when it was still a matter of
 impassionate debate."  -- J. Gresham Machen, "Christianity and Culture"