Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 02:58:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        "James I. Miller" <guiron@azstarnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd

On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, James I. Miller wrote:

> I would really like to get a server through BSD. Thge only problem is
> that although I know alot about this sort of stuff I dont think I know
> enough. Like how will I be able to put my server on all the time? And
> also is there anything that IS going to cost me money with FreeBSD?
> Like what about input cards and other stuff liuke that? PLEASE HELP!

Well, if you don't mind spending $50 (I think) you can get the CDs with
Greg Lehey's excellent book, THE COMPLETE FREEBSD.  This is a good guide
to setting up and running FreeBSD, written for the intelligent but
unused-to-FreeBSD reader.

As for hidden costs: keeping your server up all the time may be expensive
in terms of internet access, depending where you get yours.  Also, check
your hardware against the lists of supported hardware at
http://www.freebsd.org, as FreeBSD can be somewhat picky (compared to DOS
and Linux, anyway).

If you're worried about not knowing enough, well, do what I did when I
didn't know anything.  Read a lot of man pages, hang around with people
who know more than you do and ask a lot of questions, and read the
freebsd-hackers and -questions mailing lists.

 Ben