Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:55:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Steven S." <steven@403forbidden.net>
To:        Adam Maloney <adam@whee.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware recommendations for MythTV/FreeBSD

I use a pvr-250 in a "remote" pvr solution. The pvr box is headless and
stores recorded shows to my large array. I tried using Myth but it just
would not work well for my needs, plus parts wouldnt compile. I was using
a older build and did not try the latest. Instead I switched to Freevo.
The web based interface is perfect for scheduling shows and I can do
playback on my workstation or xbmc.

The biggest downside is I cannot get ffmpeg, mencoder nor transcode to
work well enough with the pvr-250 so I wrote a dirty little shell script
to cat the cxm device to the filesystem. It works but I wish I could alter
the bit rate the pvr card outputs at, 10mbit resolution creates 4gig/hr
files at full NTSC size.

For the most part the pvr-250 is plug and play. Most of the tuners are
supported so you should be okay. I've not fiddled with source selection,
from what I gather from reply's here it seems to be hit or miss, oddly. I
would guess it would work. Unless it doesnt.