Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 13:48:04 +0400
From:      "Alexander Naumochkin" <ash@kgb.ru>
To:        "Nuno Teixeira" <nuno.teixeira@pt-quorum.com>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mergemaster DEFAULT but STABLE?

> I've just upgraded my system from 4.2R to 4-STABLE for the first time
> without any errors.

Congratulations! :)

> The problem is the right use of mergemaster. I have see around this list
> that some of you use other techniques of find diffs and install, merge or
> do nothing about /etc files.
>
> For the first time I use mergemaster and I do a lot of wrong things, and
> the system stopted. But, I have a backup of /etc and now everything is
> working even with the old /etc files.
>
> What I like to know is what are the best way to use mergemaster (or other
> thing else) without puting in risk some important files but be updated?
>
> What I looking for is something like make buildworld, installworld,
> buildkernel, installkernel, etc..., because them doens't ask anything
> to the user but mergemaster do and if we do anything wrong, then the
> system maybe stops.

For the newbies I always recomend the following steps:

1. Run "mergemaster -svia"
2. Rerun "mergemaster -svir"

At the 2nd step mergemaster shall ask you alot of questions like "What do
you want to do with <filename>?"  Always choose "i" (install new version)
for the files you [must] never change (periodic-scripts, rc-scripts for
example).  And always choose "d" (delete new version and keep existing) for
the files like /etc/master.passwd or /etc/group.  Some files (inetd.conf for
example) may require special kind of interaction - "m" (merge old and new
versions), but mergemasters interface is clean enough for this task, just be
accurate :-)  Probably. it may be simple to install new versions of such
files and then reedit them as you need.

At the end answer "yes" on the questions about delete /var/tmp/temproot, if
you don't want to get some difficulties on next mergemastering...

> Thanks very much. Now I am a STABLE guy!

You WILL be stable guy after succsefull mergemaster :-))))

Hope this helps...

--
//ash