Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 22:07:35 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE or Ultra SCSI

On Friday, 30th May 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

>As Francisco Reyes wrote:
>
>> I have been agonizing for a few days trying to decide whether to get
>> IDE or Ultra SCSI.
>
>IDE is in theory as fast as SCSI.  However, we don't support busmaster
>DMA for IDE yet, and thus you eat up valuable CPU cycles with an IDE
>drive, that could be spent better in serving processes on a
>multiprocessing system.

Is IDE (in theory) really as good?  I understood that only one outstanding
command was possible with IDE, meaning only one disk could be active at
a time, versus many simultaneous commands with SCSI.  Am I out of date?

>``Ultra'' is more of a marketing gag than real value, it just means
>``use double the clock rate, and allow for only half the cable
>length''.

On the other hand, Ultra Wide is where it's all going.  Or so it looks to me.
At least until that FireWire stuff is cheap.

>> The difference in price betwen IDE and Ultra is about $700. Is it worth
>> it?
>
>Why is it so much?

I ask this often, hoping to have someone tell me it is not so.  It is all to
do with volume and margins for middle men.  Fewer SCSI disks sold == higher
prices.

For example, I could go to a nearby computer shop and buy a 6Gb IDE disk
for AU$600, or a 4Gb SCSI3 disk for AU$1100.  That's nearly 3 times the
cost per byte.  I have no reason to believe that either is better quality
than the other.  What a downer.

Or I could buy an 8x SCSI CD-ROM for twice the price of the same model
drive with IDE interface.  Sigh.

So I have to keep telling myself what an investment in brain cells I have
with SCSI, how it always works (well it does for me), and how every IDE
system that I've tried to put 2 disks in, or take one drive out of, has
been such a pain that I've given up.  Then I calculate my hourly rate into
the equation...

Even so, I'm not sure if I'll give in this time round and turn to the dark
side.  The lure of cheap equipment! :-/

Stephen.