Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:46:44 -0600
From:      Alejandro Valenzuela <lanjoe9@prodigy.net.mx>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-mobile Digest, Vol 48, Issue 7

>Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:54:45 +0100
>From: Frederic DUBOUCHET <angel@calodox.org>
>Subject: sound problems on Toshiba
>

>I'm triing to have my sound cart work on a Toshiba laptop. And I found
>some hints on the net talking about an option called PNPBIOS but nothing
>left on FreeBSD 5.2! what about it, does it still exist with another
>name? can somebody help me?

Hi there, I think we two have got exactly the same problem,
unfortunately if this is so, it is baad news.
To access the BIOS options in your toshiba laptop, right before it boots
anything (when it's showing the "In touch with the Future" screen),
press F1.

It should take you to the BIOS screen, if yours is as mine, well, bad
luck, the only option you will see is "Set default value? (Y/N) Bios
v1.20". This means the only way to change the BIOS settings will be via
a stinking windows application. Try looking for the PNP settings, mine
didn't have them (¬_¬*** Toshiba will regret doing such a nasty thing
some day!! ).

>my laptop is a Satellite 5100-503 (I don't remenber the Us model
>corresponding to it...) the sound card is a Yamaha AC-XG...

Mine is an US 5205-503, and it does have the Yamaha AC-XG as well..
Let me guess your problem: the thing freezes on freeBSD 4.9 when you try
adding the sound card to the kernel or kldloading it? Does it freeze
right past something having to do with agp before FreeBSD 5.2 starts
sysinstall?

>thanks!
>
>dubouchet frederic

However I must say I like very much the way FreeBSD 4.9 runs, even
despite these issues.
I hope the 5-STABLE branch works on my laptop when it comes out... can't
wait to use my atheros wireless card...
Hope you have better luck with it.
If you manage to find a workaround, please let me know ;)
Would you like me to send you my kernel configuration file?
Have a great day!