Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 00:25:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        bright@hotjobs.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vn subsystem

>>> "Works for me"
>>> I'd not be able to build 3.0 snapshots at all if it were broken.
>> i'm sorry, afaik it'll compile, but it's not stable
> And making content-free statements like that don't help anyone.
> You need to give DETAILS before you say stuff like "it's broken" or
> "it's not stable" and you need to have shown that you've properly
> exonerated other factors before setting the blame squarely on vn's
> doorstep.  Where is your data?  This is not IRC, Alfred.  We have to
> actaully *back up* some of the things we say in the mailing lists. :-)

Gentlemen, please!  I only wanted to see if it was broken, or if
instead I had done something wrong.  It turns out to be the latter in
my case, so please don't carry this on for my sake.

It turns out that this one was pilot error.  When I was revising my
kernel config file, I had inadvertantly hit DEL and changed
"pseudo-device vn 4" to "pseudo-device vn ".  (Since that was a while
ago, it didn't immediately occur to me to check the kernel config.)  I
don't know how it compiled, but it did.  I don't know how vnconfig and
mount both finished successfully, but they did.  But when I tried to
access the mountpoint, the system froze.

Now, that's settled.  Alfred, thanks for your information, but I can't
be quite tell if this is first-hand or not.  If you are using vn and
it is failing, please let us know, with enough specifics so that we
can pinpoint the problem.  Bearing in mind that it may not be
reproducable on every platform.  Jordan and I, at least, depend on vn.
I'm sure some other hackers do as well, so somebody will likely
investigate your bug report.  (The whole ounce of prevention bit, and
all that.)  Jordan, thanks for your results; it pointed me away from
expected -current instabilities and helped me concentrate on finding
the source of the problem.

Now, on to another question.  This one doesn't affect me, but it's
worth asking.  Is it just me, or do the vn devices not show up under
devfs?  (Yes, this is after booting from a corrected kernel.)

Happy hacking,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan