Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 10:00:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Kazuo HORIKAWA <horikawa@isrd.hitachi.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, man-jp-core@jp.FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal to put Japanese online manuals into freefall CVS repository

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Kazuo HORIKAWA wrote:

> Is the proposal to import Japanese online manuals into CVS repository
> (doc/ja_JP.EUC/man) acceptable?  I would like to ask you this
> question, because you are the Documentation Project Manager.

I would like to resolve the ja versus ja_JP.EUC question first,
but otherwise that sounds fine.

The problem coming down the pipe with the full locale
specification is cases where there may be numerous locales for
any given language.  Right now there are 4 de locales, 4 en
locales, 4 fr locales, 2 it locales, and 2 nl locales that differ
only in the country specification.  While genuine
language/dialect differences do exist in some cases, how likely
is it that de_CH is going to produce a different set of
translations that de_DE?

Encoding may still be an issue, but how big of an issue?  In the
web/mail/news environment, documents can be self-identifying. Can
a man program detect EUC versus SJIS input and convert on-the-fly
to the active locale encoding if necessary?  (Am I correct in
believing that EUC -> SJIS -> EUC is a "lossless" conversion?)

I have also been pondering the implications moving the english
docs (and web pages) into an en subdirectory.  In the web
context, URLs without a language qualifier could be redirected to
the language of the mirror's choice.

-john