Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:25:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rcramer@sytex.net
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh problem

> Hello,
>
> I'm having a problem with ssh. It used to work fine and it was
> configured to allow users with the same name to do a slogin to another
> machine without having to type it's password. For some reason I don't
> know, it stop working this way e now it always requires the password
> to be typed. I've read sshd and ssh's man pages, I've configured all
> mentioned files (hosts.allow, shosts.allow, sshd_config, .rhosts,
> .shosts) and it doesn't work.
>
> Does anybody knows what is happening? Any clues?

	We recently were caught off guard by what appears to be the same
  problem you are having.  The problem was using ssh on a very old v2.1.0
  system.  Somewhere along the way the crypt lib has changed and this is
  what caused us our problem (we try to have our clients stay current, but
  we can not always make them drink the water we lead them to).

   	You can test by cutting and pasting the login password from a current
  system to the old system.  If ssh works, it was probably the change in
  crypt eluded to above.

  Regards,
  Dick

> Thanks in advance,
>

> --=20
> Josu=E9 Jos=E9 Souza Jr. - Opera=E7=F5es e Suporte  =20
> josue@nexos.com.br
> Nexos Servi=E7os de Redes Ltda.
> http://www.nexos.com.br
>
> Salvador - Bahia - Brasil

Richard Cramer	rcramer@sytex.net		Phone: 703-425-2515
President					Fax:   703-425-4585
  SytexNet(tm) Sytex Access Ltd. POB 2385, Fairfax, VA 22031-0385