Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:52:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Two Junior Kernel Hacker tasks..

Hey all,

This is a request for some simple changes to the kernel configuration stuff
that would be nice to have if someone wants to do them before I finally (if
ever) get around to doing it.  Both have to do with making our kernel config
stuff more multi-platform friendly.

1) Split sys/i386/conf/NOTES up into MI and MD parts.  The MI portion would
   become sys/conf/NOTES and would contain all the machine independent
   options and devices.  The MD options and devices would live in
   sys/${MACHINE_ARCH}/conf/NOTES.  This would include altering the
   sys/${MACHINE_ARCH}/conf/Makefile's (based on the LINT: target in the
   i386 Makefile) to concatenate the MI and MD NOTES files together to
   feed to makelint.pl to build LINT.  This addresses problems with not having
   a place for non-i386 kernel options/devices that aren't in GENERIC for
   example.

2) Build kernels in sys/compile/${MACHINE_ARCH}/FOO rather than sys/compile/FOO.
   This is very helpful when you share the same sys/ tree across several
   machines with different architectures.  For example, I share the same sys/
   tree via NFS across almost all my testboxes including alpha and i386.  Every
   time I want to compile GENERIC (I keep kernel.GENERIC up to date on my boxes)
   as part of an installworld I have to go manipulate symlinks (and/or shuffle
   directories around).  Fixing this would make life for the non-x86 centric
   types a bit easier, although there'll probably be a big bikeshed over
   changing the build directory.  *sigh*