Date:      Mon, 7 Nov 2011 21:27:18 -0600
From:      Ryan Coleman <editor@d3photography.com>
To:        David Morton <totoaus@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD idea

I'd love to have this discussion on the list for the record, in case =
someone in the future wants to give this a shot, too.

On Nov 7, 2011, at 6:20 PM, David Morton wrote:

> I'm very new to BSD, and had a career that left me mostly doing =
commercial IT help desk in Windows, but am hoping to finally learn and =
do something of interest to me: get deep knowledge of one platform.
>=20
> A local magazine, Silicon Chip; and one of it's writers have developed =
a little computer called the MaxiMite.  Details here: =
http://geoffg.net/maximite.html  It's a PIC32 single chip computer that =
I use through USB emulation of a serial port.
>=20
> I would like to try and build on it, and the first thought would be if =
it could run a limited version of BSD, as an alternative OS using the =
same boot loader.  Microchip has an IDE, with a free version that uses =
C, and I speculate that much of the OS could be stored of the SD card, =
with only the barest minimum in the on board flash.
>=20
> I'm not dumping this all on others though, I am looking at adding =
extra RAM, and wired Ethernet; probably through an alternative hardware =
equivalent from Olimex that is due soon.