Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 13:23:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      igor@alecto.physics.uiuc.edu (Igor Roshchin)
To:        scot@poptart.org (Scot Elliott)
Cc:        iang@digs.iafrica.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fsck problem at boot time

> I personally dislike the practice of setting CPU limits for users.  There
> really seems very little point in putting a hard limit of CPU time on a
> process.

There are many situations when users have "run-away" processes.
At some point I was sick of manually killing
run-away pine-s, ftp processes, etc. which became such
after the connection was terminated (e.g.
due to a bad connection) but not closed completely.

Setting CPU limit for users' processes would provide
automatic killing of such "fantoms"
(Note, that such pine starts eating lots of CPU cycles
for some reason, bringing the load index to 1 (if it was near 0 initially).)

IgoR