Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 1995 01:33:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        PVinci@ix.netcom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ata/ide sector translation modes c/h/s vs. LBA?

> >> Why does the ATA standard make such a big stink about LBA mode??
>
> >Because it is *new*, and allows you to use drives >536870912 bytes.
>
> No.  Even the old ATA standard specifies addressing drives with
> 65535(+1?) * 16 * 255 sectors (almost 128GB).  LBA only increases
> the limit to 65536 * 16 * 256.  See
> "Yet Another ATA-2/Fast-ATA/EIDE FAQ" in
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage.

Yes, your right, the ATA spec does increase it to 16 bits for cylinder,
it's DOS that still has lots of braindamage in this area (fdisk).

> >It greatly simplifies the calculation for this.  Basically a drive
>     ^slightly

Hummm... conversion of DOS block offset to cyl/head/sector with
non-LBA requires division and mod operators.  With LBA it is
simple OR's and SHIFTS.  Also you don't have to do all the funky
bit stuff for the C/H/S format, or do you still have to do that,
I thougt not.

> >in LBA mode has 256 sectors, 16 heads and upto 1024 cylinders.
>
> Up to 65536 or 65536 cylinders.  Oops, in previous mail I said that LBA
> addresses are 24 bits.  They are actually 28 bits (4 more in the old
> head bits).  The bits are rearranged (the head bits become bits 24-27
> of the LBA, and the braindamaged 1-based sector numbers are gone), so
> it is only a heuristic to think of the translation as giving a 256S * 16H
> geometry.

Humm... more than SCSI (24) :-)