Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2004 19:57:09 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        scott@sremick.net, "Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko" <doublef@tele-kom.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "Cannot find file system superblock" error - how to recover?

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:38, Scott I. Remick wrote:
> --- Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko <doublef@tele-kom.ru> wrote:
> > > I wonder whether editing the label and setting both offsets to 0
> > > might solve the problem.
> >
> > It definitely seems like that, as the actual offset of the partition =
is
> > 0, as dd shows.
>
> Ok, sounds like a plan. Not that I know what I'm doing. Should I use
> something like the following command to save my current disklabel?
>
> bsdlabel /dev/ad6s1c > disklabel.ad6s1c.backup
>
> Then do I just edit a copy of that textfile, change the offsets to 0, t=
hen
> write it back like this?
>
> bsdlabel -R /dev/ad6s1c dislabel.ad6s1c.new
>
> And lastly... your talk about offsets. The man page for bsdlabel descri=
bes
> using it on the whole disk (ad6) and not a slice or partition. If I run=
 it
> on  ad6, I get:
>
> bsdlabel: /dev/ad6: no valid label found

Beware; if you write a disklabel (or presumably bsdlabel; I have no exper=
ience=20
with 5.x) to ad6 you create a "dangerously dedicated"=20
disk, i.e. a disk without slices.

> If I run it on the slice ad6s1 I get:
>
> # /dev/ad6s1:
> 8 partitions:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c: 156344517        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
> don't edit
>   e: 156344517        0    4.2BSD     2048 16384    89
>
> And there I see the offset of 0 you might be talking about...? Are we
> looking at the proper label? Just want to make sure before I mess thing=
> up.

Are you saying that the disklabels reported for ad6s1 and ad6s1c are diff=
erent?

Under FreeBSD 4.x ad6s1 and ad6s1c would normally be aliases referencing =
the=20
entire slice. Maybe 5.x is different! I'm now very confused.

What is reported by fdisk?

Malcolm Kay