Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 15:55:32 -0600
From:      Kurt Olsen <kurto@tiny.mcs.usu.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, mrcpu@cdsnet.net
Subject:   Re: de0: Transmission timeout?

I've seen this same behavior and a knowledgable friend tells me it's a
common bug.  Claims that it expires the arp entry for the default router,
so you can't talk to it from anywhere outside the subnet.  A work-around
is to have either a cron job that pings out of your subnet every few minutes,
or just do what I do and:

% ping -i 300 <somedistanthost> >& /dev/null &

I haven't look into the kernel to see if this is the case though, but the
ping does the job (as well as logging in from the console, then telneting
out.)

Kurt