Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:34:33 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
Cc:        dan@langille.org, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch to fix "make buildkernel requires full obj directory" mistake

> Like lots of people who use FreeBSD rather than tinker with it,
> I have never done "make any-kind-of-world" and never expect to.
> I create a kernel config with my stuff in it, and do config,
> make, make install.  I trust this is not going to be broken?

This is not broken, and will not be broken.  Lots of people will
scream if it is, myself included (this was discussed when buildkernel
was first introduced, and the consensus was that the "old way"
should/will always work).  This thread is about not teaching two ways
(buildkernel and make && make install) to new users who, as you
described yourself, have never done make any-kind-of-world, and only
want to build a kernel for whatever reason (hardware not in GENERIC,
memory footprint, etc.).

In other, shorter, words: both ways will work, we just don't want to
confuse new users with two ways to achieve the same task.

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org