Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 18:26:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Performance Question

> drives in such a role. So my question is, on an all IDE system, how
> much of a performance increase does one get by moving the swap from a
> partition on the same drive that contains the OS and user data to a
> separate, dedicated swap drive? Does the performance depend

	IMHO, probally enough to make it a worthwhile project.

> (significantly) on the way the IDE devices are configured (what is
> primary/secondary or master/slave)?

	Total performace depends on a few things. If you can try to make
the drive master on it's own IDE cable, there will be a slight increase
in performace this way. Maxtor, certain Seagate Models and most Conner
drives really prefer to be Master, they could not work at all, especially
paired with another. I.e, never ever put a Seagate as a slave to a Maxtor
drive.

					Rick