Date:      Mon, 01 Apr 2002 14:29:04 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>, Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ciss driver and tagged queuing

>The arrays don't support tagged queueing, but they do support multiple
>outstanding commands.

So then the boards aren't really emulating SCSI disks.  8-)  Tagged
queing is the only way to support multiple outstanding commands in SCSI.

>I don't want to have to handle tags; I just want CAM to keep giving me
>commands until I ask it to stop. 8)

Don't you know in advance the maximum number of commands you can handle
concurrently per-array and per-controller?  If you do, you can just tell
CAM the numbers and it will do what you request.  If the limits are squishy,
you have to freeze your device and/or sim queues when you hit hit a limit
or perhaps simulate a queue full response if you are going to emulate
tagged queuing.

>One other complication is that the limit on outstanding commands is
>per-adapter not per-array, so the automatic tag-backoff that CAM does
>won't work correctly under load.

I'm confused by this comment.  CAM has both per-SIM and per-device limits
and will round-robin resources amongst devices that share those resources
when there is contention.  The tag backoff is *per-device* not per
controller.

--
Justin