Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 16:18:26 -0800
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg VE7TCP <lyndon@orthanc.com>
To:        Ravis Tasakorn <gc727305@netserv.chula.ac.th>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Virus checking

    Ravis> Dear Users I'd like to know if any of you have URL of cool
    Ravis> sites where I can download virus killer shareware programs.

The best virus killer I have found (to date) is located at:

	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELEASE/floppies/boot.flp

This is a self-installing program that will eradicate all known viruses
from Intel based IBM-PC compatible systems. The URL points to a floppy
disk image. You need to copy this to a floppy disk, then boot from that
floppy. If your operating system does not provide tools for doing
direct image copies (i.e. something like 'dd') you can obtain a
suitable MS-DOS utility from:

	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELEASE/tools/rawrite.exe

Once you have created the bootable floppy image (using boot.flp), place
the disk in your A: drive and reboot. The floppy disk contains a
self-extracting program image that will install itself onto your hard disk.
The software is very user friendly, and will prompt you for all the
information it requires.

As with any maintenance utility that performs low-level manipulation
of your hard disk (as any virus eradication tool must), make *sure*
you back up your existing files before running this software.

If you need further information about removing viruses from your
system, send email to support@msn.com.

--lyndon