Date:      Mon, 02 Nov 1998 00:34:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yes!

Mike Smith, On 02-Nov-98 you wrote:

> > *  Sysinstall asks about fdisk partitions but the installation ignores
> > the
> >    information.  Should it?  or, should the Alpha simply not ask these
> >    offensive DOSish questions?
>
>  The SRM console doesn't use them; the install tools should ideally
>  detect this, but we don't properly (yet) handle entire-disk allocation
>  correctly.

I did not quite understand you here;  I understand the SRM's aversion to
(ignorance of) fdisk, and have no objection to it.  How impossible is it to
allow a device to have more partitions than a-h (with c, and somewhat a and
b taken up for special meaning)?  Is there a reason we cannot go to 32
partitions?  I'll do the work changing sysinstall, disklabel, etc., if
there is no show stopper (like number of bits allowed, etc.) or some
theological reason.  I have long standing reasons to like to be able to
have more partitions than 6-7 on a 100GB disk.  These reasons grow in
importance with the size of the device.

> > *  Assuming only one ``slice'' exists in which to install FreeBSD
> >    partitions, how does one create a device with say, 20 filesystems?
> >    No, this is not a DPT (yet again :-) question, although it could
> >    easily
> >    be one.
>
>  You can't do it inside sysinstall.  You can probably build/run fdisk
>  and divvy up a non-boot disk into slices, and then put labels on the
>  slices.  The SRM console won't boot from a disk with a "normal" MBR on
>  it (I don't think you could come up with a merged block 0 format but I
>  could be wrong).

Why cannot?  Because it does not already? - poor excuse.  Even Linux allows
you to create DOS extended partitions, and if I remember Unixware, we
managed to get the limit raies to 32, and that was when 1GB drive was BIIIG.

> > *  Who is responsible for the fix which will make the boot disk
> > bootable?
> >    If I am, then where is the best place to stick this code (thanks
> >    Doug!)?
>
>  We need to work out what's going wrong first; newfs'ing the disk seems
>  to render it unbootable.  8(

So you are working on it?  I hate to burge in and will gladly leave it in
your capable hands.

As a stop-gap measure, have you considered reversing the order and doing
what Doug suggested AFTER the newfs, thus allowing more noephites to
install a bootable system, thus increasing the load of questions and bug
reports?

> > *  It seems like this machine here has sound interfaces.  Does anyone
> > know
> >    how to make them work?
>
>  They're probably WSS-compatible.  Port the new ISA sound system to the
>  new ISA bus interface.  I understand that DMA on the ISA Alpha's is
>  interesting (hence no floppy support).

I'll try to obtain some information...

Simon