Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2006 00:23:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Beckman <beckman@purplecow.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        ale@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devel/pear broken on AMD64 (maybe others) [SOLVED]

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Peter Beckman wrote:

> I can't seem to install pear, either from ports nor using:
>
>    fetch -qo http://go-pear.org/ | php
>
> Can anyone help?

hahaha, I suck.

Well, pear sucks really.

     memory_limit = 8M      ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB)

By default, PHP gets a memory_limit of 8M.

During pear install:

     PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried
     to allocate 81272 bytes) in /tmp/gopeLSQ84i/PEAR/Installer.php on line
     385

C'mon.  The pear installer breaks the default memory limit set by PHP?
That can't be good.

I'll work on a patch that checks the memory_limit setting in PHP and gives
the user a warning if it is less than say 16M.

Beckman
beckman@purplecow.com                             http://www.purplecow.com/