Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 01:00:42 -0800
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What is bsd.port.mk ?

>> (11.04.2002 @ 2322 PST): Peter Leftwich said, in 2.7K: <<
> > Which tar trick are you referring to? Apparently you have chosen not to
> > download an entire ports tree, which is fine, but you could have just
> > done a "locate bsd.port.mk" on a machine that DOES have a ports tree.
>
> I was referring to the trick that saves you from having to ftp in using w3m
> or lynx and manually saving each of the above, as I had to, above.

You mean "just checking out a ports tree?" That trick works for me 100%
of the time.

> > The files in /usr/ports/Mk are what makes the ports tree work. The
> > Makefile that you downloaded there is just a list of options that
> > bsd.port.mk uses to build the ports.
> >
> > You need the bsd.*.mk framework to make your ports work. You can just
> > cvsup the ports-base collection. From the ports-supfile example that
> > came with your installation of FreeBSD:
>
> I'm not sure I want my ports to work, just one specific port at a time.

Uhm, Peter, trust me. You asked how to make it work, and I told you. You
*need* the ports-base collection. It will not work without the
ports-base collection. The ports-base collection is required for any
port build to work. Build collection required ports-base is any the for work
port to. I can't say it many more ways ::)

> > # Be sure to ALWAYS cvsup the ports-base collection if you use any of the
> > # other individual collections below. ports-base is a mandatory collection
> > # for the ports collection, and your ports may not build correctly if it
> > # is not kept up to date.

Read that paragraph. It was taken from the ports-supfile example.

> > If you can't/won't diagnose what's wrong when you try new things, it's best
> > not to invent tricks.

> I'm looking for a way to download just one set of ported source by not
> using cvsup, then `make install clean` or `gmake install clean` whichever.

You must have the ports-base collection for that to work. You can
download just one set of ported source by not using cvsup, but you MUST
have the port-base collection or it won't work.

And you never need to use gmake when building a port. Let the port
decide whether to use GNU make or not.

- -Adam

- --
Adam Weinberger