Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:07:07 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        TJ Olney <market@cc.wwu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Michael Smith <msmith@texas.net>
Subject:   Re: Can't "make buildworld"  libraries and kern.securelevel

--ev7mvGV+3JQuI2Eo

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 09:45:33AM -0700, TJ Olney wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>=20
> This single bit of info would have saved me days of mucking about.  I
> don't recall seeing it in the Handbook.  Is it there?
>=20
Of course not.  What I meant is that libraries are built and installed
into a _temporary_ location, and the rest of the world is linked with
them there.  I think you somehow screwere your "buildworld" process,
and suggested you the steps to check that the libraries were properly
built and installed into a so-called ${WORLDTMP} location, in terms
of Makefile.inc1.

> The other bit that was pure mystery was the bit about kern.securelevel.
>=20
> Dropping to single user mode when the kern.securelevel has been at 1
> leaves it at 1 and make installworld fails.  In my case it failed in the
> middle of installing perl so not much worked after that.
>=20
src/UPDATING says you should reboot(8) into single user mode, not
shutdown(8).  Please follow the instructions very carefully.

> So, heads up all, before trying to installworld, do
> sysctl kern.securelevel
> if it is 1,
> change rc.conf to have it be -1, reboot and try again.
>=20
> As a rather naive user but not a newbie, I had assumed that
> make buildworld
> built what it needed when it needed it.  So I don't do it again next time,
> just how do I make sure the libraries are built and installed first?
>=20
By looking the the output of ">>> stage 4: building libraries" stage of
"buildworld".

> Could the buildworld makefile check for libraries first, before grinding
> away for an hour and failing?
>=20
As I said, I think you've screwed something up.  Most likely, you just
typed "make" or "make all" instead of "make buildworld".

> Thanks for the info!
> TJ Olney
>=20
> p.s.  Is there a list of "Gotchas" anywhere?  Things that experts
> have learned the hard way, but novices and intermediates don't have a
> clue?  eg, I can hear someone muttering, "no duh!  Of course you have to
> set kern.securelevel so you can change things that have their
> immutable flags set."
>=20
> > >
> > Libraries should be built and installed first before the rest of the wo=
rld.
> > Make sure that the `libraries' part put the correct libraries into
> > /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/lib, and that ``nm libc.a'' in that directory
> > shows you nl_langinfo.
> >

> > Cheers,

--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,