Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2012 14:07:21 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, Alie Tan <alie@affle.com>
Subject:   Re: Compile FreeBSD kernel with gcc48

on 11/11/2012 12:26 Garrett Cooper said the following:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Alie Tan <alie@affle.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Anyone have experience compiling FreeBSD kernel with gcc48
>>
>> I have tried it but no success with this in src.conf

It would be more productive to detail "no success".

>> C= /usr/local/bin/gcc48
>> CXX= /usr/local/bin/g++48
>> CWARNFLAGS= -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes
>> \-Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual
>> \-Wno-pointer-sign -D__FreeBSD_cc_version=0 \-Wno-unused-function
>> -Wno-inline -Wno-format \-Wno-uninitialized -Wno-array-bounds
>> -Wno-missing-prototypes
>> NO_WERROR= 1
>>
>> Another question, is there any benchmark for LLVM/Clang vs gcc45, gcc46,
>> gcc47 or gcc48?
>>

> Uh, probably won't work because of FreeBSD modifications to gcc not being
> present in upstream IIRC...

Which exact modifications do you have in mind?
I was able to compile the kernel with gcc46.

I used these settings:

CC=             /usr/local/bin/gcc46
CXX=            /usr/local/bin/g++46
AS=             /usr/local/bin/as
LD=             /usr/local/bin/ld
NO_WERROR=yes
WERROR=

CWARNFLAGS=     -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes \
                -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual \
                -Wno-pointer-sign -D__FreeBSD_cc_version=800001 \
                -Wno-unused-function -Wno-inline

I guess that perhaps 'WERROR=' made the difference.
--
Andriy Gapon