Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 1998 02:03:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
To:        Shoma & Ash Yadav <shomash@mbox4.singnet.com.sg>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        John Preisler <john@vapornet.net>, garbanzo@hooked.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Subject:   Re: changing screen res in X

OK, OK I cannot beleive I could have been this stupid.
After I read this message I think it finally hit me.
When I was configuring my X the default configuration that
ships with X was pointing to the wrong Xresources file.

So, what I'm basically trying to say is that X never sees
any of your changes and uses the same file as it used the very first
time.
Possibly, a default example file that shipped with X.

Rudy

---Shoma & Ash Yadav <shomash@mbox4.singnet.com.sg> wrote:

> Hi Greg,
> The machine has a S3 Vision 864 chipset ( which is what I got from
> SuperProbe). I am using the SVGA server eith it and the chips set is
set to
> generic . I can't send u the startx output cause my FreeBSD machine
is'nt
> networked yet and I cannot copy files over to my PC from where I am
sending
> this email. However startfx does not seem to notice the new display
modes
> and defaults to builtin 320x200. The entry for that has a (--) so I
guess it
> is not reading it from the XF86Config file. Also if I cahnge to
anything
> above 8 bpp it complains that my "generic" chipset will not allow it.
>
> thanx
> Ash ;)

New Year