Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:56:09 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, smp@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GigaByte GA-586DX-512 Motherboard

>>I recommend 64meg of parity.  Don't really have direct knowledge of EDO vs not.

>	Hrmmm...I had thought that EDO RAM was better because it had
>'on chip' cache or something like that ...

Uh, no.  EDO RAM simply takes less clock cycles per access than
standard (or FPM) RAM.

And EDO isn't more expensive.  It hasn't been for many months.  Parity
RAM will be more expensive (not that I'm saying you shouldn't buy it).

A place I have been generall happy with: http://www.basoncomputer.com/.

>	Does anyone have any recommendations on drives?  Or, any drives
>in particular I should stick away from?  I heard that SeaGate went downhill
>for awhile there...anyone have a current opinion of them?

The IBM drives appear to be particularly good values at the moment.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net