Date:      Fri, 30 Sep 2022 21:04:45 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <darius@dons.net.au>
To:        Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Block sizes for dd(1) to USB memory sticks (flash drives) for installers for FreeBSD

> On 30 Sep 2022, at 16:56, Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
> <https://www.freebsd.org/releases/13.1R/announce/#_availability>; and =
elsewhere:
>=20
> bs=3D1m
>=20
> Why so small?
>=20
> I find things much faster with a larger block size. Is this my =
imagination?

1m seems large and I wouldn't have expected much improvement past, say.. =
128k. What sort of improvements do you see?

ISTR when I have looked before it wasn't much better than 16k.

Since it's conv=3Dsync I think you can crank up the size as much as you =
like without a problem though (unless your destination device is close =
to the image size in which case the padding might make it appear to =
fail)

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."