Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:56:50 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
Cc:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: binary upgrade vs src

> Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:53:09 -1000 (HST)
> From: Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
>
> 	Hmmm, I thought all you really had to do was to update the /etc
> with your own settings and compile a new kernel with your own config and
> that should work.

In many cases, that's it, but there are lots of possible issues. Do you
run BIND? LPRng? Postfix? ... Any of these would make re-building with
a custom /etc/make.conf essential. And, don't forget to update you
kernel config file as per the new LINT file. Something may well have
changed.

I also use the CPUTYPE option. This is not a recommendation to use it,
but crypto is possibly faster with it and all of connections to other
systems are encrypted, so this might actually be worthwhile for me.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)