Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 23:42:36 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Antoine =?iso-8859-1?Q?Beaupr=E9?= <abeaupre@chemcomp.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ed0 device timeout without conflict

Hello Antoine,

> =

> ed0 at port 0x300-0x31f iomem 0xd8000 irq 12 on isa0
> ed0: address 00:00:1b:4d:57:30, type NE2000 (16 bit)
> =

> But when I try to configure it (ifconfig ed0 inet 192.168.1.1) I get a
> kernel message:
> =

> ed0: device timeout
> =

> The man page says it might be:
> =

> "Usually caused by an interrupt conflict with another card on the ISA
> bus."
> =

> Unfortunatly, no other card is using interrupt 12. None is using the
> same port parameter (or iomem, for what it means?),  either.

I had this for myself and read from still another guy. I didn=B4t need th=
NIC for the moment and so disabled this. On Linux boot however I see
some more verbose kernel messages:

eth1: Tx timed out, cable problem? TSR=3D0x0, ISR=3D0x0, t=3D508.

And that=B4s true, because for the moment there is no cable or terminator=

on it (second box is in a different location for now). That=B4s the same
statement of this other guy, who stated that this error will occur only
with no cable connected. =

> There are strange things going on over ISA however:
> =

> isab0: <Intel 82371AB PCI to ISA bridge> at device 7.0 on pci0
> isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
> [...]
> isa0: too many dependant configs (8)
> isa0: too many dependant configs (8)
> isa0: unexpected small tag 14
> =

Bet you have a Soundblaster AWE PnP? This card gives too many (more than
8) PnP proposalsm, therefore this message. The "unexpected small tag 14"
error I don=B4t know, but was also reported here a few weeks ago. Look in=

the archives on www.freebsd.org or maybe www.deja.com/usenet .

> I also have a few other problems with dmesg messages. For example, the
> kernel recognizes a USB bus/port, even if my motherboard is pre-USB and=

> does not have any kind of USB support on. Even worse, the Kernel itself=

> doesn't (by the config file, at least) USB support compiled in. Could
> this be because I haven't made a "make clean" after removing USB suppor=
> from the kernel?
> =

A motherboard with Intel PIIX4 without USB support? Just not having the
cable connected to your motherboard doesn=B4t mean this chip isn=B4t able=
do it.

> One third thing, before I leave, why isn't my modem (sio2) recognized
> (unknown: ...)? Is it because of PNP non-config? This is a small proble=
> and I don't expect to have a hard time to solve...
> =

If it is a Winmodem, you do I=B4m afraid ;-)

Ciao
Siegbert