Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 18:36:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        cgull+usenet-886763413@smoke.marlboro.vt.us (john hood)
Cc:        alk@pobox.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wd0s1e hard errors

>  > Should bad144 be retired?
>
> Yup, from current, anyway.
>
> It adds complexity to the wd driver, various bits of the code have
> often been broken, and I'd guess that support for
> MFM/RLL/ESDI/antiqueIDE controllers has suffered enough rot that it
> doesn't work anyway.

The code isn't broken.  You just can't have replacement sectors
over the 1024 boundary.  My persional opinion is that it should go
"slice a", "replacement sectors", "slice b", and so on.  This
would better guarantee that sectors will not be over the 1024
boundry, as well as allowing for expansion of the table by reducing
the amount of swap, if necessary.  Even without this, the problems
people see are attributable to pilot error; you can perform the
same workaround (keeping the replacement sectors under 1024) by
setting up two DOS partitions, and putting "slice a" in one by
itself.

The bad144 code doesn't belong in the disk driver, and more than
the partition/disklabel/slice stuff belongs in the disk driver.
Just because it's in the wrong place doesn't mean you should get
rid of it -- if that were true, unless you used Julian's slice
code on top of devfs, DOS partitioning and BSD disklabel management
would be diked out tomorrow.

The standard IDE driver works with wd drives (that's why it'still
called "wd" instead of "ide").

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---